Monday, August 13, 2012

Rice Crispy wedding cake

YIKES!

Got a call from a friend who said your a baker so we thought of you first to make our daughters wedding cake.

I'm not a baker ( I wish I was ) but  I am a cake decorator. They did not want cake either , they wanted a rice crispy treat as big as a wedding cake.  Oh Boy!  I've never made rice crispy treats that I can remember.  They seemed easy so I said sure!  Then I broke out in a sweat and full blown panic attack....could I do this?

 I Immediately started Making test batches....5lbs later ( yea I ate most of them too) . I figured I could do this.  I love pintrest , they had the picture ....but no directions .

Rule number one- use a non stick pan, with handles.  You might want to start working out before hand because its a lot of arm work.

Rule number two- spray your pan with Pam! , spray your hands with pam to avoid sticking as you squish the treats into the pan.  You have to make sure the treats are squished down good!! build up the sides nice and tight.  When you have filled the whole pan take a knife to gently remove the treats from the side of the pan , thanks to PAM this will be effortless! Flip treats on to your board.  I made two batches to make two layers to give the cake the height it needed.  The tricky part was making the treat look like it was one whole.  (Keep smashing)   I pushed a cookie sheet up against the sides to give it a nice sharp square look. 
To add support or not? Rice crispy treats are light but I decided to stick to the wedding cake basics on support.  I used chopsticks for my dowels .  Marked with a pen and then cut on those lines so I could stack my next rice crispy tier up. I also covered my board in saran wrap so I would not dry out the treats.

side cakes
 Here is my final , They wanted ribbon and lace .  I used marshmellow cream to make the ribbon sick and used a glue gun to get the lace to stick to the ribbon.  I was tickled pink on how well it turned out being my first time and all.  Fresh fruit and flowers were added at the wedding reception.  word of advice for anyone trying to make this - you need the right pans, I doubled the batches when I was cooking on the stove.  It took about 15 boxes of treats and I lost track on the marshmellows.  Use the tiny ones though.  I used real butter !! Don't skimp. Bottom pan is a 16" square, 12" and then 8 " square. I made side cakes for extra I was not sure if this would feed the 300 guest they were expecting so I made 4 half sheet treats. Fruity pebbles, chocolate pebbles, Peanut butter and regular.  We Pre-cut these. My Best bud Jenny did this for me .





Tah Da..................

3 comments:

donna said...

love it, excited to hear how it all came about. you are awesome. Time to open up that bakery!
donna

Julee Jayne said...

Thank you Donna :)

Unknown said...

Wow, fantastic! How deep were your cake pans?